A Brief History of Stonehenge: A Complete History and Archaeology of the World's Most Enigmatic Stone Circle
Shining new light on England's most mysterious ancient monument.
Archaeologist Aubrey Burl is recognized as Britain's leading expert on stone circles. Here he tells anew the story of England's most enigmatic ancient site, Stonehenge, and why it continues to fascinate historians, archaeologists and others. Each successive generation has developed its own reading of the stones.
Piece by piece Burl comprehensively debunks long-held myths and mystical notions with meticulous research and cutting-edge science -- as he does so, far from stripping the stones of their magic he opens our eyes to a greater understanding and admiration for them. Key revelations concern:
- how the Heel Stone predates the monument itself
- how the Welsh bluestones arrives at the site
- the true astronomical meaning of the setting of the stones
- the relationship between the monument and the burial grounds that surround it.
Condition: Pre-loved book. Minor yellowing of pages. Otherwise in good condition.
Year published: 2007
Sub-genre: History; travel
Imprint: Constable & Robinson
- Free shipping within Peninsula Malaysia. For Sabah, Sarawak and rest-of-world, zone rates will apply. See link to Shipping policy in footer.
- Packaging: recyclable materials will be used whenever possible.
INCLUDE A MESSAGE ABOUT YOUR SHIPPING POLICY